BREAKING NEWS - My Hopeful Journey is now live! Visit us at www.myhopefuljourney.com!!!

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Journey of a Thousands Miles Begins with One Step

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, by Lao Tzu. This is such a deep and powerful statement. I found a ring that has this quote inscribed on it.  I am wearing it as a reminder of where I have been.. but more importantly where I am going.  I am hoping to use my experiences, both positive and negative, to help other women like me.  I believe that it is both my positive and maybe even more so my tragic experiences that have not only made me a stronger person but also made me appreciate my life that much more.  Sure, I could be bitter and angry... and of course I have experienced those emotions.  I hate it.. it makes me feel terrible.  But I have healed and feel like I have grown to be a better person.

 I realize that I control my perspective and how I react to life.  Sometimes I literally made myself get out of bed and forced myself to face the world.  It was the hardest thing to do... to put one foot in front of the other instead of putting my head under the covers.  It is not easy by any stretch of the imagination.  But it is very important to try as best as you can to have a positive outlook.  It is normal to be devastated if a cycle is canceled or your lab work isn't what you expected it would be or there aren't as many follies as you would like.  Take the time to grieve the way you need to and deal with your emotions.  If you need to lay in bed and sleep all day.. DO IT!  But set limits for yourself and look at the positive in each day that you have.  And when I say look.. I mean it... seek it out, search for it, create it, even if it is something small! 

 So often when one door closes another door (or two) opens.  I know for me I went through 5 doctors and it wasn't until doctor number 4 that I actually found out what was wrong with me... I think that was around the 3 1/2 year mark.  I was devastated when doctor number 4 closed the door because she said they don't do IVF on patients with high FSH.  I was devastated.. the door didn't only close.. it slammed shut!  I guess I was naive but up until this point I didn't know that a doctor could or would turn me away from treatment, after all I have insurance!  I had a whole bunch of emotions that were not so positive.  I realized that I could let that stop me in my tracks... or I could keep going.  Right, I could keep going... well of course I could, there were still 1 or 2 doctors in the area that I hadn't seen yet ;-).  Soooo on the phone I was armed with new information.  Yet another step in my journey....

3 comments:

  1. For me the door that opened after my failed IVF cycle was surgery to remove my fibroid tumors. That door had been closed (deemed unimportant by my RE) a year before. Thanks to the door being re-opened, we're now embarking on a new journey!

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man!! I can't believe the experience you had with your docs, but you didn't give up and didn't lose hope and here you are taking the next step - in the right direction.

    I wish you luck on your journey! KUP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! This post was actually referring to my IF journey about 2 1/2 years ago. My 5th RE worked with me (High FSH and all) and we finally did have success. I am sooo thankful that I didn't give up. Of course that is the condensed version... so much happened in that last year or so!

    ReplyDelete